Thursday, July 31, 2008

First Friday August: The Brothers Wachs

My friends David and Andrew Wachs are doing a show together (finally!) in August and September at the "tbd loft." Here's my shortened, edited version of the press release sent by the gallery, plus some of David's paintings and Andrew's sculptures that will be hanging for the show. Dave and Andy are the real deal - be sure to take a look. And even better: Bring your checkbook. -hoc
-----------------------

First Friday August: The Brothers Wachs

(Bend, OR) Beginning Friday, August 1, the sculptures and paintings of Andrew Wachs and David Wachs will be on display at tbd loft. The show opens with a First Friday reception from 5 – 9 p.m. and runs through September.

Painter David Wachs has lived in Oregon most of his life. For the last 14 years he has lived in the same house in Tumalo. “I have never lived in one place as long as I have here,” commented David. “Working in a converted dairy barn on our property is a dream come true for me.”

During art school at Montana State, David made a lifelong commitment to the landscape as subject matter and has faithfully retained this approach to content. He is inspired by the places he is so lucky to visit. Canyons, mountains, sage covered hills, basalt cliffs/breaks and dry deserts are the impressions that become my work. “I know when I see a painting I will do in the countryside,” explained David. “I bring those emotions back to my studio to create images.”

Andrew Wachs is a metal artist who lives and works in Bend, Oregon. The landscape and color fields of central Oregon continually inspire Andrew. and Much of his work is representative of my many travels from Bend to Portland. Andrew’s most recent works are in Bend’s new roundabout located at Bond and Wilson in the Old Mill District as well as a public sculpture in Northwest Crossing.

The work exhibited at tbd loft will represent a broad perspective of Andrew’s recent work. Andrew works primarily in steel and the exhibit at tbd loft is a study of composition and form.

tbd loft is located at 856 NW Bond Street, Suite 2 above Norwalk Furniture, in downtown Bend, Oregon.

No comments: