Tuesday, February 5, 2008

David Wachs Landscape Paintings at Tetherow

Through 2/27
Tetherow
(Franklin Crossing Bldg.)

550 Franklin Avenue
monday - saturday 9-5
sunday 11-4

318-1234


Local artist David Wachs brings a truly original perspective to painting the dramatic landscapes of the High Desert. I've had the fun and privilege of accompanying him on trips through Oregon's Cascades and its vast and sparsely populated southeast corner, where he uses his off-pavement motorcycle and a maze of old dirt roads to access areas seldom seen by most. On these frequent sojourns through the Oregon/Nevada/Idaho "Outback," he shoots photos and sketches profusely to gather new raw material for what will become paintings on canvas, paper or board in his Tumalo studio.

For the first time since the demise of the Sunbird Gallery in downtown Bend, Wachs has a solo show of recent paintings hanging locally in the elegantly modern sales office of the Tetherow development (in the new Franklin Crossing building on the corner of Franklin and Bond in downtown Bend, Oregon).

Here's his statement about the show, and a few pictures from it. -hoc
--------

My paintings are about the scenes that you might see out of the corner of your eye or that the clouds might reveal for a moment between squalls moving over the horizon. I love Oregon and have lived most of my life in our great state. 14 years in the same house here in Tumalo is proof as I have never lived in one place as long as I have here. Working in a converted dairy barn on our property is a dream come true for me.

During art school at Montana State, I made a lifelong commitment to the landscape as my subject matter and have faithfully retained this approach to my content. I am inspired by the places I’m so lucky to visit - those canyons, mountains, sage covered hills, basalt cliffs/breaks and dry deserts are the impressions that become my work. I know when I see a painting in the countryside, and bring those emotions back to my studio to create the images you see here. As an outdoorsman I am able to spend time on and amongst our majestic volcanoes skiing and climbing, in the summer and fall I enjoy gathering images from the high desert to the east and south into Nevada on the back of an Austrian made off-road motorcycle. Some of the most beautiful country in the western United States I have been fortunate enough to visit only because I travelled on 2 wheels, usually alone. It truly is the next best thing to flying.

Paintings shown by appointment, site specific commissions welcome.

David Wachs

Wachs Studio
541-383-1727
Tumalo Reservoir Road
Bend, Oregon 97701
wachsstudio.com

No comments: